Sunday, June 1, 2014

#15. Project Meja the Second

Staying true to my policy, this entry will be in English.

This is my second table project.  It was completed some time ago, again requested from a client.  She wanted a small table for putting magazines, samples, whatnot, etc. in the waiting area of her office.  She already had the table top,  "recycled" from the roadside, so I only had to construct the base frame.  So I took the dimensions of the table top and started to design from that.

I decided to try out several new things

  1. New wood.  Instead of the el-cheapo 44mm x 20mm cross section planks, I went for 38mm x 38mm square cross section plank for the legs.  Cost is 2x higher than the el-cheapo type.  For the apron, I still use the el-cheapo wood.
  2. I also went for a new joinery technique.  Instead of my usual direct pilot hole+screw joinery, I used the Kreg Jig pocket hole joinery method.  I had eyed this for a very long, long time, and only took the plunge after I saw a fellow local woodworking enthusiast using it.  The advantages of this method are strong joints, easy assembly (& disassembly, if needed), and the screws are kinda hidden from view if you're smart about it.
  3. I also beveled the edges of the legs and apron a little using a router (with 45 degree bit).  This made it look a little nice, I think.
  4. Lastly, I finished off the frame with a few coats of Mr. Paint Man Woodscreen in Golden Pine tint.


I didn't take any pictures of the actual construction.  I used the basic steps like my first table

  1. Construct the two sides first
  2. Joint the two sides with the cross bars.  This time I just used 2 apron bars at the top and nothing at the bottom.
  3. After the frame is all joined, only then did I route out the bevel.
  4. The completed frame is small enough to be transported by car to the client's office
  5. The frame is then fixed to the table top at the client's office.


And here are some pics (sorry about the low quality).

Assembly.  Also shows relative size of the table.  It is quite small.

Detail showing beveled edges.  I like this very much.

Pocket holes on the inside

Finished table

Tadaaa!  End Result

I must say that I like pocket hole joinery a lot.  Joints are clean and flush, and the table is quite rigid and sturdy.  I would want one for my office too, heheh...

No comments:

Post a Comment