Tuesday, January 14, 2014

#13 DIY Router Cooling

I guess I spoke too soon.  In a previous post, I mothballed Projek Integrasi because I bought a new ADSL modem router. I soon saw a problem.  I often lost internet connection, and it seems that the new device is overheating.  As an ad-hoc solution, I came up with this.



Yes, a 12V DC fan powered from a switching AC to DC wall wart.  It is not immediately evident from the picture, but I raised the device from the table surface by wooden blocks underneath it.  The device itself has no vents on the top surface, only at the bottom.

With this solution, I still have intermittent disconnections.  The position of the fan seems critical, too far away and the wind won't be sufficient to cool it down.  At full speed, the fan is easily toppled over, and this happens often because my son sits next to this setup when he is playing games on his laptop.  A better solution is needed.


The Plan

Searching Google images for "diy router cooling" reveals many prior art.  It looks like bottom cooling is best since the vents are at the bottom.  The only thing is that I need some bottom clearance between the fan and the table surface for enough air volume to push upwards. Also, I needed something fast and furious, so I decided to use just wood and screws and nothing fancy.  


The Build

I started with the corner blocks to mount the fan.  I used a miter saw at 90 and 45 degree settings to cut these, using a mark on the miter saw fence to help me cut same sized pieces.



Next, using a square, I marked a line for the mounting hole. 


I then positioned the fan on the corner block, taking precautions to not introduce any blockages in the airflow.  I used a 1 1/2" screw to mark the mounting hole location on the wooden block, and using this as reference, marked the remaining three corner blocks.  I used a punch to dimple the wood before drilling a mounting hole on each corner block.

Then I cut the stands.  I didn't take any exact measurements, I just eyeballed it.  Again, I used a reference mark on the miter saw fence to cut consistent lengths.




The next step is just to glue the corner blocks to the stands.


Then, just mount the fan, being careful to take note the direction of the airflow.


Right side up.


And put the new but dusty router on top.


My son is happy now.


If I had wanted to be fancy, I could
   1.  Paint the thing matt black
   2.  Put rubber feet etc for vibration isolation
   3.  Put a speed controller
   4.  Put bling-bling LEDs
   5.  etc, etc
but I just wanted something fast and furious.  All this took under an hour to do.

And that's it for today.  A fast and easy one.






No comments:

Post a Comment